Introduction and Activity Report of Catalysis Society of Taiwan
Catalysis Society of Taiwan (CST) was officially inaugurated in June, 2010, with a mandate to promote the growth and development of catalysis R&D in Taiwan. The predecessor of CST is the Catalysis Club of Taiwan (CCT), established in early 1970’s. Members of CST compose of academic and industrial colleagues in the fields of catalysis, zeolites, and reaction engineering in Taiwan. CST annual meeting is a continuation of the annual symposium entitled “Taiwan Symposium on Catalysis and Reaction Engineering (TSCRE)” of CCT. The 37th TSCRE organized by CST was just held in Taipei in June 26-27, 2019.
CST and the predecessor (CCT) have contributed in diverse ways to promote fraternity between Taiwanese catalysis society and international societies. We are among founding members of Asia-Pacific Association of Catalysis Societies (APACS) since 2004. As active members of international catalysis community, we have organized several international conferences on relevant fields and have initiated collaboration & friendships with catalysis societies in Asia. For examples, the 6th Asia Pacific Congress on Catalysis (APCAT-6) was organized and held in Taiwan in 2013. Many annual and/or biannual bilateral symposia with societies of Japan (1973--present), Korea (1983--1995), China (2000--present), or Vietnam (2015--present) have been held.
- Historical Sketch:
Catalysis Society of Taiwan (CST) has 243 registered members at present. CST plans to take special initiatives for nurturing young researchers across the country, facilitating collaboration between industry-government-academia and building bridges between generations of catalysis scientists, and promoting linkages with international catalysis activities. CST organizes at least two workshops on catalysis per year, offering training courses on catalysis-related subjects, including material synthesis, characterization, fundamental theories and applications in industry. CST also organizes seminars and meetings regularly. For examples in recent and coming months, Professor Mark Davis presented a speech entitled “A 30 Year Journey to the Synthesis of the First Enantiomerically-Enriched Molecular Sieve” in Taiwan University on October 3rd, 2019. Professor Hisahiro Einaga presented “Design of metal oxide catalysts for air pollution control” in the same university on October 18th. Professor George W. Huber presented “The Design of Catalytic Processes for the Conversion of Biomass into Fuels and Chemicals” in Cheng-Kung University on October 30th. A workshop entitled “2019 Metal-Organic Frameworks Workshop in Taiwan (MOF Taiwan-2019)” was held in National Taiwan University on November 16th, 2019. Ten speakers from Taiwan, USA, Australia, Japan, Korea, and Singapore have presented the speeches respectively. Moreover, a workshop entitled "The Catalytic Conversion of C1 Chemicals" will be held in National Taiwan University of Science and Technology on December 20th, 2019. And an industrial catalysis workshop will be held in Kaohsiung on March 5th, 2020.
C. Activity Report (2010--Present):
(a) Organization of International conferences：
- Present Status:
(b) Bilateral Meetings (2010--Present)
- Taipei International Conferences on Catalysis (TICC-2020), to be held in Taipei, Taiwan, June 25-28, 2020. Anticipated number of participant: 350.
- International Symposium on Catalytic Conversions of Biomass (ISCCB), Taipei, Taiwan, June 27-30, 2016. Number of participants: 394.
- 2015 International Conference on Nanospace Materials - from Fundamental to Advanced Applications (ICNM-2015), Taipei, Taiwan, June 23-25, 2015. Number of participants: 283.
- The 6th Asia-Pacific Congress on Catalysis (APCAT-6), Taipei, Taiwan, October 13-17, 2013. Number of participants: 804.
- Workshop on Mesostructured Materials and Their Applications in Nanocatalysis--Post Conference of APCAT-6, Hsinchu, Taiwan, October 18, 2013. Number of participants: 60.
- The 6th Pacific Basin Conference on Adsorption Science and Technology (PBAST-6), Taipei, Taiwan, May 20-23, 2012. Number of Participants: 307.
- The 3rdd Taiwan-Vietnam Joint Symposium on Catalysis, Taipei, Taiwan, July 7-8, 2019. Number of Participants: 95.
- The 12th Cross-Strait Catalysis Symposium (CSCS-12), Taipei and Hualian, Taiwan, December 17-19, 2018. Number of participants: 136.
- The 16th Japan-Taiwan Joint Symposium on Catalysis–New Horizon of Catalytic Science and Technology, Kyoto, Japan, January 30-31, 2018. Number of participants: 90.
- The 2nd Vietnam-Taiwan Joint Symposium on Catalysis, Quy Nhon, Vietnam, August 4-5, 2017. Number of Participants: 150.
- The 11th Cross-Strait Catalysis Symposium (CSCS-11), Wuhan, China, July 9-11, 2016. Number of participants: 150.
- The First Taiwan-Vietnam Joint Symposium on Catalysis, Taipei, Taiwan, July 26-27, 2015. Number of Participants: 86.
The 15th Taiwan-Japan Joint Symposium on Catalysis-Catalysis for Sustainable Developments in Energy and Environmental Concern, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, April 20-21, 2015. Number of participants: 110.
- The 14th Japan-Taiwan Joint Workshop on Nanospace Materials, Fukuoka, Japan, March 10-13, 2014. Number of participants: 65.
- The 10th Cross-Strait Catalysis Symposium (CSCS-10), Taipei, Taiwan, October 11-13, 2013. Number of participants: 253.
- The 13th Japan-Taiwan Joint Symposium on Nanomaterials for Renewable Energy and Chemicals, Matsushima, Japan, Nov. 20-24 (2011). Number of participants: 65.
- The 9th Cross-Strait Catalysis Symposium (CSCS-9), Taipei, Taiwan, July 18-19, 2010. Number of participants: 125.
(c) Domestic Symposia (2011—Present)
Annual CST Meetings “Taiwan Symposium on Catalysis & Reaction Engineering (TSCRW) organized:
(1). TSCRE-37, Tatung University, Taipei, Taiwan, June 26-27, 2019. Number of Participants: 220.
(2). TSCRE-36, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, June 28-29, 2018. Number of participants: 210.
(3). TSCRE-35, I-Shou University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, June 28-29, 2017. Number of participants: 192.
(4). TSCRE-34, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, June 27-28, 2016. Number of participants: 181.
(5). TSCRE-33, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, June 25-26, 2015. Number of participants: 142.
(6). TSCRE-32, National Yunlin University of Science and Technology, Yunlin, Taiwan, June 26-27, 2014. Number of participants: 171.
(7). TSCRE-31, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, June 27-28, 2013. Number of participants: 185.
(8). TSCRE-30, National Dong Hua University, Hualian, Taiwan, June 28-29, 2012. Number of participants: 205.
(9). TSCRE-29, Dong Hai University, Taichung, Taiwan, June 23-24, 2011. Number of participants: 193.
(10). TSCRE-28, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, June 24-25, 2010. Number of participants: 235.